Sunday, October 28, 2012

NaBloWriMo #28~~I Learnt A New Word~~

My DS and I were watching Top Gear last week. They were doing a show on Caravanning in Cornwall and the next one was one about motorbiking through Viet Nam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_Vietnam_Special
We saw one on MAKING a caravan on a car, which was Series 15 episode 4. Make SURE, doubly and triply SURE that you have your Depends on, because it is Piss Your Pants funny.
Depends Pictures, Images and Photos

Top Gear is a British show that first started in 77!! And relaunched in 02.It was originally a show for gearheads, and strict car enthusiasts, but it's morphed into something different and completely outrageous.

The hosts are Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.  Jeremy is the brains of the outfit compared to the others.  Hammond, also known as Hamster, and James are there for comic relief.  It's shown on BBC America. My son is hooked, but then again, I started him off with Monty Python and the Holy Grail.   hehehe

Hamster's on the left and James is on the right. Jeremy is in the middle.

But this was the one thing that sent me completely over the edge. It was part of the Viet Nam Special:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lre05nthNR1qjirrjo1_400.gif

This what was said:

Richard: I just put my face in your crotch!
James: So you simultaneously headbutted me in the gentleman’s region and snapped the prow off the galleon. You complete numpty Hammond.
That was it!!!  I laughed to hard I was crying and my ribs hurt for days...

I hadta look up what a "numpty" actually was because that was a new one on me...I know alot of English colloquialisms, but had never heard this one.
This tidbit comes from Urban Dictionary:

numpty A person, who, for their public personality seems as if they can be compared to the pleasant 'Humpty Dumpty'... but when in the comfort of being alone in their room takes out the Jack Daniels and wacks off to a taped episode of Sesame Street.
Numpty1415 up278 down
Scottish usage:
a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person
a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"
This seems more like Hamster to me though:
A person who never has or never will have a f*ing clue what he is doing
Bobby Gould
Scotland's favourite word is "numpty", according to a survey conducted for a children's charity.

I'm not really surprised, because it's a very useful and versatile word.

No comments:

Post a Comment